A strong recovery requires leadership, bold ideas, and action — and we need your help! Add your name if you'll stand with Currie Dixon and the Yukon Party!
WHITEHORSE – The Yukon’s forests are an invaluable natural asset that provide a wealth of environmental benefits and recreational options. They are also a critical renewable resource that can create jobs and strengthen the economy. With lumber prices surging across the country because of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Yukon has an opportunity to benefit economically.
“As it stands, the Yukon isn’t making the most of our forestry resources,” said Yukon Party Candidate for Watson Lake Patti McLeod. “Why are we still importing what we need for biomass energy from outside the territory? We will expand our forestry industry and prioritize adding value to our products.”
In order to optimize the Yukon’s advantage and grow the forestry industry, a Yukon Party government will:
- Use targeted harvesting to reduce wildfire risk in and around Yukon communities.
- Develop a Yukon Forestry Strategy to support value-added products for timber.
- Make regulatory improvements to support the growth of the Yukon’s biomass energy industry.
The Yukon Party government will also engage Yukon First Nations and Yukon First Nations Wildfire to expand their involvement in the management and mitigation of wildfire risks in the territory.
“Combining First Nations’ traditional knowledge and entrepreneurial spirit, Yukon First Nations Wildfire is one of the territory’s greatest success stories,” added McLeod. “In addition to making Yukon communities safer, this partnership will create jobs and provide valuable skills training to Yukoners.”
The Yukon Party has released its Action for a Change plan: The party’s visionary platform document for the success of the territory focuses on Economic Recovery, Supporting Yukon Families, and Safe and Growing Communities. These pillars rest on a foundation of Good Governance and result in a Strong Yukon Recovery.
The party’s Action for a Change platform contains specific actions:
- Working with public health professionals to provide a plan for a safe reopening.
- Supports for business through to recovery, including cutting red tape, economic diversification, creating new private sector opportunities, and bolstering the Yukon’s tourism industry.
- Addressing energy and climate change, making record investments in green energy, and ending the practice of renting diesel generators.
- Providing support to Yukoners all the way from birth to post-secondary. With specific actions for health beginnings, enhance early learning and childcare with a universal benefit that leaves no children behind, improvements to K to 12 and First Nations education, and post-secondary initiatives.
- Expansion of health and wellness, and mental wellness initiatives.
- Making life more affordable by freezing power rates.
- Addressing housing and land development, investing in the Yukon’s communities, and creating safe communities.
You can read the Yukon Party’s Action for a Change plan here.
The 2021 territorial general election will be held on Monday, April 12.
For further information, please contact: