A strong recovery requires leadership, bold ideas, and action — and we need your help! Add your name if you'll stand with Currie Dixon and the Yukon Party!
WHITEHORSE – The Yukon Party will implement several proactive measures to address community violence throughout the territory.
Safe and Growing Communities is one of three pillars of the party’s platform to provide Yukoners with Action for a Change.
“A Yukon Party government will work diligently with our partners to ensure Yukoners feel safe and empowered to lead healthy, productive and meaningful lives,” said Yukon Party Whitehorse Centre candidate Eileen Melnychuk. “Addressing the systemic issue of violence against women and LGBTQ2S+ people is a priority for myself and the Yukon Party team.”
To help ensure all Yukoners are safe and secure, a Yukon Party government will:
- Take steps to implement the Yukon’s Missing and Murdered Indigenous Missing and Murdered Women, Girls and Two-Spirit+ People (MMIWG2S+) Strategy.
- Implement Clare’s Law legislation to ensure that in defined circumstances, people at risk of domestic violence may be notified of their partners’ previous history of domestic violence or violent acts.
- Commit $1 million in new funding to combat sexual assault and provide services to survivors of sexual violence.
- Ensure communities are safe for everyone by working with Queer Yukon to make the Yukon Pride Centre a reality.
“A Yukon Party government will not only actively denounce violence, but we will also act to ensure that all forms of discrimination and violence are simply not tolerated in the territory,” added Melnychuk.
The Yukon Party is committed to Action for a Change, which focuses on Economic Recovery, Supporting Yukon Families, and Safe and Growing Communities. These pillars rest on a foundation of Good Governance and result in a Strong Yukon Recovery.
The party’s Action for a Change platform contains specific actions:
- Working with public health professionals to provide a plan for a safe reopening.
- Supports for business through to recovery, including cutting red tape, economic diversification, creating new private sector opportunities, and bolstering the Yukon’s tourism industry.
- Addressing energy and climate change, making record investments in green energy, and ending the practice of renting diesel generators.
- Providing support to Yukoners all the way from birth to post-secondary. With specific actions for health beginnings, enhance early learning and childcare with a universal benefit that leaves no children behind, improvements to K to 12 and First Nations education, and post-secondary initiatives.
- Expansion of health and wellness, and mental wellness initiatives.
- Making life more affordable by freezing power rates.
- Addressing housing and land development, investing in the Yukon’s communities, and creating safe communities.
You can read the Yukon Party’s Action for a Change plan here.
The 2021 territorial general election will be held on Monday, April 12.
For further information, please contact: