A strong recovery requires leadership, bold ideas, and action — and we need your help! Add your name if you'll stand with Currie Dixon and the Yukon Party!
WHITEHORSE – The Yukon Party Official Opposition is calling on all candidates in the territorial Liberal leadership election to reject the divisive approach taken by the Trudeau Liberals regarding firearms and speak up against the amendments to Bill C-21 that will target law-abiding gun owners in the Yukon.
“We are calling on those seeking to become the next premier to stand up for Yukon hunters and legal gun owners who are being unfairly targeted by the Trudeau Government,” said Brad Cathers, Official Opposition Justice Critic. “While all Liberal MLAs voted against a motion to ensure territorial resources are not used to implement the Trudeau government’s approach, we hope those seeking the leadership will change their position and commit to actually standing up for Yukoners.”
In October, the Yukon Legislative Assembly passed a motion that read:
THAT this House urges the Yukon Government to ensure that territorial policing resources are not diverted to assist in the implementation of the Government of Canada’s gun “buy-back” program.
All Liberal MLAs including Ranj Pillai, the only declared Liberal leadership candidate, voted against this motion.
In addition to speaking up against the amendments to Bill C-21, the Yukon Party is advocating for the following:
- Ensure that territorial policing resources are not diverted to enforcing the Trudeau government’s gun confiscation program;
- Join provincial governments in publicly opposing the gun confiscation plan;
- Adopt a position formally opposing government confiscation of lawfully acquired private property, including firearms, from people who have done nothing wrong;
- Transition the Chief Firearms Officer position from a federal position, to appointment by the territorial government, and;
- Adequately resourcing the RCMP to ensure they are able to address the serious problems facing our communities, including the illegal drug trade, organized crime, and criminal misuse of firearms.