A strong recovery requires leadership, bold ideas, and action — and we need your help! Add your name if you'll stand with Currie Dixon and the Yukon Party!
DAWSON CITY – The Yukon Party has announced that if elected they would work to increase childcare spaces in Dawson City.
The Yukon Party’s Action Plan contains a clear commitment to work with the Little Blue Daycare to determine the community’s needs for childcare spaces and then develop options for an expansion or a new facility.
The Little Blue Daycare has just 20 childcare spots and a current waitlist of 33 kids.
“One of the reasons I voted for Sandy last time was because he promised that if elected, he would get Little Blue Daycare a new building,” said Charlie Dagostin Yukon Party Candidate for Klondike. “Unfortunately, this was not followed through with and our community can’t wait anymore. It’s time for action.”
This builds on another element of the Yukon Party’s Action Plan to create a non-taxable Yukon Universal Childcare Benefit of $500 per child per month for every child up to age 5 and $100 per child per month from every child aged 6 to 10. This will ensure life is more affordable for families and leaves no child behind.
According to the most recent statistics Dawson City has 216 children under the age of 10.
The Yukon Party has released its Action for a Change plan: The party’s visionary platform document for the success of the territory focuses on Economic Recovery, Supporting Yukon Families, and Safe and Growing Communities. These pillars rest on a foundation of Good Governance and result in a Strong Yukon Recovery.
The party’s Action for a Change platform contains specific actions:
- Working with public health professionals to provide a plan for a safe reopening.
- Supports for business through to recovery, including cutting red tape, economic diversification, creating new private sector opportunities, and bolstering the Yukon’s tourism industry.
- Addressing energy and climate change, making record investments in green energy, and ending the practice of renting diesel generators.
- Providing support to Yukoners all the way from birth to post-secondary. With specific actions for health beginnings, enhance early learning and childcare with a universal benefit that leaves no children behind, improvements to K to 12 and First Nations education, and post-secondary initiatives.
- Expansion of health and wellness, and mental wellness initiatives.
- Making life more affordable by freezing power rates.
- Addressing housing and land development, investing in the Yukon’s communities, and creating safe communities.
You can read the Yukon Party’s Action for a Change plan here.
The 2021 territorial general election will be held on Monday, April 12. Advanced polling dates have been announced for Sunday, April 4 and Monday, April 5, 2021.
For further information, please contact: