A strong recovery requires leadership, bold ideas, and action — and we need your help! Add your name if you'll stand with Currie Dixon and the Yukon Party!
The Yukon Party is committed to fighting climate change and ensuring the territory develops a portfolio of renewable energy sources and programs.
By acting, the Yukon will do its part to help Canada meet its target of producing net-zero emissions by 2050.
“A Yukon Party government will make immediate investments in green energy solutions as we work together as a territory to reduce our emissions,” said Yukon Party Leader Currie Dixon. “By continuing these supports and enhancing them we will help do our part in the fight against climate change.”
A key piece of this plan to fight climate change will be enhancing current investments in energy efficiency retrofits and renewable energy upgrades for government buildings by creating a specific $20 million fund for First Nations and municipal governments to apply for energy retrofit and renewable energy projects for their facilities.
To further achieve our goals to reduce emissions a Yukon Party government will:
- Enhance supports for homeowners to retrofit their homes and generate renewable electricity from renewable sources by:
- Working with municipalities to implement an energy retrofit loan program.
- Working with industry to consider the eligibility of projects from the Micro-Generation Program and Good Energy program, including the possibility of household-scale batteries for back-up electricity.
- Work with condominium corporations to ensure they have access to renewable energy and retrofit supports.
- Continue current investments in climate change, green energy and green economy projects.
- Provide low interest financing to install biomass heating systems in commercial and institutional buildings.
- Provide low interest financing to install smart electric heating devices in residential, commercial, and institutional buildings.
- Continue to install electric vehicle charging stations in Whitehorse.
- This builds on a March 19 announcement that a Yukon Party government would work with industry, Yukon University, and unions to ensure that the local workforce gets the maximum benefit of green energy investments.
“The Yukon Party wants the Yukon to be a leader in helping our country fight climate change,” added Dixon. “We can protect the environment while also supporting economic growth and providing a clear path of action to lead the Yukon into a prosperous future.”